Found a solution on Google today to a problem bedeviling my Linux server: How to convince the Red Hat Network's up2date program that I already have librpm.so.0 and librpmio.so.0 on my system.
The up2date program keeps me caught up on security and bug patches, using XML-RPC to exchange data between Linux servers and the Red Hat Network mother ship. It works great most of the time -- type up2date -u and your system will catch up with any RPMs that it needs. (Kernel upgrades, too, though this feature is turned off by default.)
Since late March I've had a problem: up2date refused to update my system, claiming that a Perl package was missing two things it needs -- librpm.so.0 and librpmio.so.0 -- even though both files are present on my system.
I just used the fix suggested on Google and it works. Thank you, unnamed Internet sage, for providing the kind of support I would've expected from the Red Hat Network if I didn't get my subscription for free with my new Dell.