Though I am becoming a Linux zealot, I remain awestruck by the amount of grief required to get the components of a LAMP platform -- Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl, PHP, and Python -- working together successfully.
I burned an entire afternoon Saturday because of a weird issue with PHP that worked fine in Apache 1.3 but was hosed in Apache 2.0.
Collecting variables from the path is easy in PHP:
list($i1,$i2,$id_number) = explode('/', $REQUEST_URI, 3);
This wasn't working on the new server: Apache thought these URLs referred to real directories, responding with a file not found error for every script that used path info.
Simple enough, once you find it, but I made a crazed Kenny Stabler scramble around Google for many hours until I did.
Style points for the Kenny Stabler reference ++