Hour 1: Becoming a Programmer
NOTES AND CORRECTIONS
- Question: I'm using a Mac. Is there a developer's kit available
for Macs that supports Java 2?
Answer: For this book and Teach Yourself Java 2
in 21 Days, I am offering the
latest news on Java 2 Macintosh support. Please bookmark that page to
keep up with the latest information I have found on the subject.
- Question: I have just bought this book of yours but I am not
able to install the JDK 2 toolkit from Sun because it's a huge 20 megabyte
file. How can I get the JDK?
Answer: If you can't download the JDK over the Web, your best bet
is probably to acquire a book that contains JDK 2 on a CD. There are
several, and one of them is an expanded version of my book called Sams'
Teach Yourself Java 2 in 21 Days Professional Reference Edition. The
book is a more expensive hardcover, but it also includes seven bonus
chapters on advanced Java topics. For more information, visit its
official Web site.
- Solution #1: Visit Sun's official Java
site and read some of the
introductory articles about Java (the "Read About Java" section
mentioned in the book isn't presently available on Sun's site, but the
"What is Java?" section serves a similar purpose).
- Solution #2: An example of instructions (in English) to handle the
- Dear personal computer,
- Item 1: Give the user a chance to select a number.
- Item 2: Add 10 to this number.
- Item 3: Multiply the resulting number by 5.
- Item 4: Display the final value of the number.
- Snookie Lumps